Shoreditch Digital Canvas: The Digital Advertising Disruptor.

Inspiring creativity within the media sector by blurring the lines between art and advertising.

The Shoreditch Digital Canvas was built in 2018 as a collaboration between Wildstone Build and Jason Bruges Studio. Sitting in prime position on Old Street roundabout in London’s Shoreditch, the display was built to showcase both local artwork and commercial advertising to the 1.5 million people passing every fortnight.

Transformed from a traditional paper-and-paste billboard, the installation displays advertising 80% of the time, and the other 20% is available to its Curating Committee, who coordinate artwork from locally based artists. The Shoreditch Digital Canvas seeks to provide a unique platform to encourage and inspire creativity within the media sector, as well as providing an opportunity to bring un-commissioned artworks to the street.

Wildstone Build designed and built the specially made aluminium space frame. Strengthening works were required on the gable wall to ensure that the weight of the space frame could be safely accommodated.

Shoreditch Digital Canvas.

Comprised of a 6 by 3 metre screen and 25 LED satellite screens and light bars, a custom back of house Scala system supports a bespoke creative content delivery system. This permits brands and artists a great deal of personalisation with the ability to customise each of the screens as well as the LED light bars.

As one of the most vibrant and varied audiences in the capital, the canvas harnesses a unique opportunity to influence a part of London that has boomed in the last 10 years. Shoreditch has become a hotbed for London’s tech community, with brands such as Amazon having recently moved its European HQ to the area.

During the design phase, Wildstone Build and Jason Bruges Studio ensured that design integrity was maintained. Taking Shoreditch’s atmosphere into consideration, a progressive, original structure was produced –symbolising the creative neuron pathways surging through this part of East London.

Shoreditch Digital Canvas.

This is a new piece of artistic infrastructure; possessing an ethos which Wildstone aims to use across more projects. By contributing to its community’s creativity and commerciality – the Shoreditch Digital Canvas breathes life into traditional advertising.

Formed in 2002, Jason Bruges Studio (JBS) design and build interactive installations that create innovative and engaging spaces that connect people with their environment. They are a multi-disciplinary team of architects, lighting designers, electronic engineers, programmers, visualisers, industrial designers and mechanical engineers. Their practice is based in Old Street, Hackney the hub of the creative and digital industry in Europe.

If you are interested in populating the canvas with your artwork; proposals for the canvas can be submitted here.

Similar posts:

MicroLED: The first advance in LED technology for a decade

Bringing the world into even higher resolution with brighter, more realistic images, MicroLED will create screen displays we didn’t think possible.

Read more

The New Technologies Disrupting Out-of-Home Advertising.

As we know, digital technology is rapidly evolving – creating new opportunities for both brands and consumers to communicate. This article explores four technological advances disrupting digital out-of-home (DOOH) advertising as we know it.

Read more

Shoreditch Digital Canvas: The Digital Advertising Disruptor.

Inspiring creativity within the media sector by blurring the lines between art and advertising.

The Shoreditch Digital Canvas was built in 2018 as a collaboration between Wildstone Build and Jason Bruges Studio. Sitting in prime position on Old Street roundabout in London’s Shoreditch, the display was built to showcase both local artwork and commercial advertising to the 1.5 million people passing every fortnight.

Transformed from a traditional paper-and-paste billboard, the installation displays advertising 80% of the time, and the other 20% is available to its Curating Committee, who coordinate artwork from locally based artists. The Shoreditch Digital Canvas seeks to provide a unique platform to encourage and inspire creativity within the media sector, as well as providing an opportunity to bring un-commissioned artworks to the street.

Wildstone Build designed and built the specially made aluminium space frame. Strengthening works were required on the gable wall to ensure that the weight of the space frame could be safely accommodated.

Shoreditch Digital Canvas.

Comprised of a 6 by 3 metre screen and 25 LED satellite screens and light bars, a custom back of house Scala system supports a bespoke creative content delivery system. This permits brands and artists a great deal of personalisation with the ability to customise each of the screens as well as the LED light bars.

As one of the most vibrant and varied audiences in the capital, the canvas harnesses a unique opportunity to influence a part of London that has boomed in the last 10 years. Shoreditch has become a hotbed for London’s tech community, with brands such as Amazon having recently moved its European HQ to the area.

During the design phase, Wildstone Build and Jason Bruges Studio ensured that design integrity was maintained. Taking Shoreditch’s atmosphere into consideration, a progressive, original structure was produced –symbolising the creative neuron pathways surging through this part of East London.

Shoreditch Digital Canvas.

This is a new piece of artistic infrastructure; possessing an ethos which Wildstone aims to use across more projects. By contributing to its community’s creativity and commerciality – the Shoreditch Digital Canvas breathes life into traditional advertising.

Formed in 2002, Jason Bruges Studio (JBS) design and build interactive installations that create innovative and engaging spaces that connect people with their environment. They are a multi-disciplinary team of architects, lighting designers, electronic engineers, programmers, visualisers, industrial designers and mechanical engineers. Their practice is based in Old Street, Hackney the hub of the creative and digital industry in Europe.

If you are interested in populating the canvas with your artwork; proposals for the canvas can be submitted here.

Similar posts:

MicroLED: The first advance in LED technology for a decade

Bringing the world into even higher resolution with brighter, more realistic images, MicroLED will create screen displays we didn’t think possible.

Read more

The New Technologies Disrupting Out-of-Home Advertising.

As we know, digital technology is rapidly evolving – creating new opportunities for both brands and consumers to communicate. This article explores four technological advances disrupting digital out-of-home (DOOH) advertising as we know it.

Read more